Thursday 12 March 2009

New Eyes

Hi there

Just a quick note to introduce myself. My name is James Clarke and I am the Course Co-ordinator for the Foundation Degree Film and Video course here at Hereford College of Arts.

First a note to thank Borderlines for giving my students the very useful opportunity for their films to be screened during the festival (Small Stories, Big Ideas). I hope the experience proves useful and productive all 'round. The course that we are running is still very new but is beginning to take ever greater strides. Our second year students are all homegrown and our first year students have come from further afield. The work the students have so far produced during this academic year has been eclectic and imaginative and as I type this they are all working away on their

Just yesterday I was remembering the first year that Borderlines ran and attending what was perhaps the very first screening of a film at a venue in Ross on Wye. How far the event has come.

Looking through the programme for this year I hope to catch some of the new and the old. Certainly the chance to see The Passion of Joan of Arc on the big screen is a major pull for me. I am also hoping to check in with North Face and Better Things. The film Fieldwork also fascinates. Finally, it's also really a thrill to see some former colleagues of mine showing their work also as part of the Local Filmmakers' Showcase.

Well, I'll sign off for now.
More soon.
James

1 comment:

Trekker said...

Back in the mists of time, the library at Hereford High School for Boys had only one copy of "The White Spider" by Heinrich Harrer which gives the history of attempts on the north face of the Eiger as well as his own, the first successful one, in 1938. The only way to get hold of it was to negotiate a return date with one of the well-known band of climbers who kept it permanently on loan.
As a junior member of that band I can vouch for the truth of the story and the authenticity of the cinema experience. This isn't a made to impress film theorists, but it will freeze you to your seat. See it!